HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
lowermainland balla



Posts : 5
Join date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:49 am

i really like mouat and pitt next year from what i saw out of them this year they have a few stand outs for sure and a couple of under the radar guys

for mouat:
jesse coy clearly a lights out shooter and an exceptionally good defender one of the best in the province needs some work on his inside game for sure but a good player

cam friesen one of the best players in the province can do everything on offense and can guard every position on the court a player i really like his game

Then there is a gr11 pretty sure number 8 not certain but he didnt see much action but looked like he could be a solid player next year a smaller stockier post deceptive with his athleticism hustled on the boards and had nice touch from the perimeter deffs a player who could shock some people

for pitt:

Trevor Severinski good size for a post and an incredible shooter for such a big man might be one of the best set shooters in bc

Matt Blackaby a solid all around player could use a little more muscle and finish a little better in the paint next year but has a nice shot and good handles

Mitsu Iwai i really like him nice little quick pg who can lead a team solid defender decent shot but just a nice little player all around

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachR



Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-03-27
Age : 40
Location : New West

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:59 am

I saw #8 play at the LEC actually against burnaby south, He did not come into the game until Mouat had a sure victory but that is not taking away from him as a player, it just shows how solid Mouat was this year. He showed hustle and intensity, not the best talent but certainly a lead by example player. #21 and #20 Park were also impressive in limited minutes.

Pitt is a team I forgot about. After Malcolm, the next 3 best players were all grade 11 and they gained valuable experience at provincials. I can see Mouat and Pitt matching up in the Fraser Valley Finals unless there is an upset which would be nothing new.

WRCA is also a team to look out for..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lowermainland balla



Posts : 5
Join date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:03 am

i would have to give a clear edge to the pitt for next year at the moment for two reasons one being the fact that mouat lacks a clear big man if their gr9 kid does not play up along with a clear lack of a pg with beasley and their bak up pg grading as gr12's and not seeing any1 from that team look able to take over duties next year that will be a problem unless some1 steps up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachR



Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-03-27
Age : 40
Location : New West

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:09 am

I would agree with you in giving Pitt a bit of an edge but if Cam Friesen can come out 100% ..well Mouat will be a force. Now I don't agree with you on their PG woes. I was at Juniour Provincials at Seaquam and watched Hauck and Amrit Dubb play and I believe they will be able to play at the senior level. There may be concern but I believe Coy and Friesen will be taking much of the workload anyways.

I believe the valley will be dominant at provincials in 2012. Burnaby South showed that talent alone cannot win championships let alone get past the 2nd round. Kelowna will be good but teams like Pitt, WRCA, and Mouat will spread the floor and make things difficult for the 7 foot Braxton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abbyplayer



Posts : 1
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:18 am

lowermainland balla wrote:
i really like mouat and pitt next year from what i saw out of them this year they have a few stand outs for sure and a couple of under the radar guys

for mouat:
jesse coy clearly a lights out shooter and an exceptionally good defender one of the best in the province needs some work on his inside game for sure but a good player

cam friesen one of the best players in the province can do everything on offense and can guard every position on the court a player i really like his game

Then there is a gr11 pretty sure number 8 not certain but he didnt see much action but looked like he could be a solid player next year a smaller stockier post deceptive with his athleticism hustled on the boards and had nice touch from the perimeter deffs a player who could shock some people

for pitt:

Trevor Severinski good size for a post and an incredible shooter for such a big man might be one of the best set shooters in bc

Matt Blackaby a solid all around player could use a little more muscle and finish a little better in the paint next year but has a nice shot and good handles

Mitsu Iwai i really like him nice little quick pg who can lead a team solid defender decent shot but just a nice little player all around


im gonna have to disagree with you on #8 his name is zach loewen i believe i have against him for a few years and he is nothing special and seems to be a bit of a immature player on the court from my previous experiences with him on the court
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachR



Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-03-27
Age : 40
Location : New West

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:26 am

Quote :


im gonna have to disagree with you on #8 his name is zach loewen i believe i have against him for a few years and he is nothing special and seems to be a bit of a immature player on the court from my previous experiences with him on the court

What you may see as immaturity is really just a lack of being polished as a player. He reminds me of myself as a young player. He's just a big tough blue collar hard worker. Players like him are the players who make the Kobes and Lebrons of the world look good. He will be a great compliment to the talent filled roster of Mouat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok



Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:11 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

coach fabio wrote:
I don't recall Kelowna beating many top teams, it was actually a big mystery why Kelowna got the number 1 seed at the junior provincials, then 1st round they lost to balleanas (who lost to both mcmath and kits by 35 in their later games)


the notable teams that i know the kelowna juniors beat were Vc by 1(VC also beat them by 30), and Burnaby south.


I think you are correct, KSS juniors lost handily to VC at the Emerald tournie finals, but won over VC in Kelowna later. Obviously KSS was lucky but this got them the #1 ranking going into Provincials. They should have been seede 6-9 th probably. Adversely they played horribly at the Provincials and ended up playing below their potential.



Ball



Posts: 15
Join date: 2011-01-09

Subject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:05 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KSS juniors lost to VC by 30, and then beat Vc by a few after VC had played 3 games that day and a 5 hour bus trip, beating VC didnt really mean anything this year



Ball and coach Fabio,

please get your facts straight before you write your post. Again the great basketball minds of The Coast support the big schools of the lower mainland at the expense of the rest of the province. if you want to support your school thats great, but please stop taking away accomplishments from others with your lack of knowledge of the facts.
KSS juniors had a great year and a disappointing finish to their season. you easily acknowledge VC vistory over them by 30 at the Emerald Tourney, yet mention the KSS victory over VC as luck. then you say beating VC didnt really mean anything. WHAT is that? complete disrespect of all the teams that beat VC,

VC did not play 3 games that day or had to travel 5 hrs before losing to KSS, VC travelled to kelowna Friday and won thier first game and then defeated Penticton in the semi final Saturday, and then lost to a very determined KSS team that evening. the week before KSS defeated 3 teams(Pitt,Bby South,Oak Bay) to get to the finals against VC. while VC had an easy road to the finals of the Emerald Tourney by having only played 2 games proir to playing a very tired KSS squad.

KSS did not play a meaningful game for almost 3 months proir to the provincials and obviously did not play to their potential. but they did get to the provincials. the VC team recieved so much accolades and support, yet still did not even manage to make the provincials. i dont see to many people bashing them for not making the big tourney.
, give credit where credit is due.
Let the kids play and show a little more respect for the rest of the province.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok



Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:13 am

[quote="sunnyok"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

coach fabio wrote:
I don't recall Kelowna beating many top teams, it was actually a big mystery why Kelowna got the number 1 seed at the junior provincials, then 1st round they lost to balleanas (who lost to both mcmath and kits by 35 in their later games)


the notable teams that i know the kelowna juniors beat were Vc by 1(VC also beat them by 30), and Burnaby south.


I think you are correct, KSS juniors lost handily to VC at the Emerald tournie finals, but won over VC in Kelowna later. Obviously KSS was lucky but this got them the #1 ranking going into Provincials. They should have been seede 6-9 th probably. Adversely they played horribly at the Provincials and ended up playing below their potential.



Ball



Posts: 15
Join date: 2011-01-09

Subject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:05 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KSS juniors lost to VC by 30, and then beat Vc by a few after VC had played 3 games that day and a 5 hour bus trip, beating VC didnt really mean anything this year



Ball and coach Fabio,

please get your facts straight before you write your post. Again the great basketball minds of The Coast support the big schools of the lower mainland at the expense of the rest of the province. if you want to support your school thats great, but please stop taking away accomplishments from others with your lack of knowledge of the facts.
KSS juniors had a great year and a disappointing finish to their season. you easily acknowledge VC vistory over them by 30 at the Emerald Tourney, yet mention the KSS victory over VC as luck. then you say beating VC didnt really mean anything. WHAT is that? complete disrespect of all the teams that beat VC,

VC did not play 3 games that day or had to travel 5 hrs before losing to KSS, VC travelled to kelowna Friday and won thier first game and then defeated Penticton in the semi final Saturday, and then lost to a very determined KSS team that evening. the week before KSS defeated 3 teams(Pitt,Bby South,Oak Bay) to get to the finals against VC. while VC had an easy road to the finals of the Emerald Tourney by having only played 2 games proir to playing a very tired KSS squad.

KSS did not play a meaningful game for almost 3 months proir to the provincials and obviously did not play to their potential. but they did get to the provincials. the VC team recieved so much accolades and support, yet still did not even manage to make the provincials. i dont see to many people bashing them for not making the big tourney.
, give credit where credit is due.
Let the kids play and show a little more respect for the rest of the province.


[/quote


Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio



Posts : 235
Join date : 2010-12-03
Location : vancouver

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 pm

[quote="sunnyok"]
sunnyok wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

coach fabio wrote:
I don't recall Kelowna beating many top teams, it was actually a big mystery why Kelowna got the number 1 seed at the junior provincials, then 1st round they lost to balleanas (who lost to both mcmath and kits by 35 in their later games)


the notable teams that i know the kelowna juniors beat were Vc by 1(VC also beat them by 30), and Burnaby south.


I think you are correct, KSS juniors lost handily to VC at the Emerald tournie finals, but won over VC in Kelowna later. Obviously KSS was lucky but this got them the #1 ranking going into Provincials. They should have been seede 6-9 th probably. Adversely they played horribly at the Provincials and ended up playing below their potential.



Ball



Posts: 15
Join date: 2011-01-09

Subject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:05 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KSS juniors lost to VC by 30, and then beat Vc by a few after VC had played 3 games that day and a 5 hour bus trip, beating VC didnt really mean anything this year



Ball and coach Fabio,

please get your facts straight before you write your post. Again the great basketball minds of The Coast support the big schools of the lower mainland at the expense of the rest of the province. if you want to support your school thats great, but please stop taking away accomplishments from others with your lack of knowledge of the facts.
KSS juniors had a great year and a disappointing finish to their season. you easily acknowledge VC vistory over them by 30 at the Emerald Tourney, yet mention the KSS victory over VC as luck. then you say beating VC didnt really mean anything. WHAT is that? complete disrespect of all the teams that beat VC,

VC did not play 3 games that day or had to travel 5 hrs before losing to KSS, VC travelled to kelowna Friday and won thier first game and then defeated Penticton in the semi final Saturday, and then lost to a very determined KSS team that evening. the week before KSS defeated 3 teams(Pitt,Bby South,Oak Bay) to get to the finals against VC. while VC had an easy road to the finals of the Emerald Tourney by having only played 2 games proir to playing a very tired KSS squad.

KSS did not play a meaningful game for almost 3 months proir to the provincials and obviously did not play to their potential. but they did get to the provincials. the VC team recieved so much accolades and support, yet still did not even manage to make the provincials. i dont see to many people bashing them for not making the big tourney.
, give credit where credit is due.
Let the kids play and show a little more respect for the rest of the province.


[/quote




Sunnyok, Kelowna beat Vc, burnaby south, and oak bay you said. As you can see only one of those teams even qualified for provincials in bby south. you also said kelowna beat vc so they are deserving of the 1 seed but WRCA, Kits, Churchill, bby south, and SMUS have all beaten vc aswell. Kelowna was not deserving of the #1 seed and they showed it at the provincials coming in 15th.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachx



Posts : 18
Join date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:10 am

Ebe has a great program at palmer. I dont think they should be underestimated with solid grade 11's and Jamie Madewan coming back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steevie



Posts : 1
Join date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: could not agree more with coachx Palmer will be solid next year with a great coach Ebe n a solid core of grade 11 coming back after they showed very well at the provincials. Solid contenders for AAA 2011/2012 season, what do u think folks    Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 pm

coachx wrote:
Ebe has a great program at palmer. I dont think they should be underestimated with solid grade 11's and Jamie Madewan coming back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bhaddrell



Posts : 14
Join date : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:14 pm

As an Okanagan guy I hope KSS does win the Provincials, they have a great 1-2 bunch in Braxton and Mitch. It is too bad that their 6th man from last years team, a Grade 11, quit before playoffs started, which could be a major loss for next years team.

I also think that KSS winning would only be good for basketball across the Province. This would give the non lower mainland players something to strive for, to match what KSS did. The club program in Kelowna, Kelowna Minor Basketball, is producing a number of high quality players, I am hoping that I can get something similar going in the South Okanagan.

I just hope that the level of basketball is as high next season as it was last season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balla69



Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 pm

steevie wrote:
coachx wrote:
Ebe has a great program at palmer. I dont think they should be underestimated with solid grade 11's and Jamie Madewan coming back.

Ebe is an amazing coach but the grade 11's you are talking about did not make an impact in the success of the Palmer team this year. The only junior that actually helped the team was Jamie Madewan who is quite the extraordinary player. These same "solid grade 11's" barely won the Richmond title in grade 10 against the least talented teams in the whole province. Not a single one has ever been to the provincials before this past years team and do not expect Palmer to make it out of the Lower Mainlands this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
facts



Posts : 6
Join date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Even though we didnt see much of the grade 11's in palmer, Ebe still has a great program to get them prepared for next year. Palmer is a talented school with the grade 10's and 11's for next year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.T



Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Palmer will still be a great team next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.T



Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Tamanawis will also have a big year next year and I don't think North Delta will be as good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balla69



Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Coach.T wrote:
Palmer will still be a great team next year.

If they make provincials, you will be a basketball god coach but how can they make it when they haven't made it before? Jamie Madewan can't carry the whole team! The 11's moving up have no talent and will not come anywhere near the LEC next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FromThree



Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:21 pm

HERE IS HOWARD'S 2011 PREDICTIONS FROM THE END OF THE 2010 SEASON AND THE TEAM'S FINAL PLACING IN BRACKETS AFTER HOWARD'S RANKING

The Province's Pre-Preseason Super 15 boys Triple A hoop rankings
 
By Howard Tsumura Sun, Mar 21 2010 Howie's High School Hamper

VANCOUVER -- Blessed with as many as 11 returning players, including the core group that fashioned an eighth-place finish at this weekend's Telus B.C. Triple A championships, the Burnaby South Rebels find themselves in a position they haven't been in since the program's glory days of the early 1980s: No. 1 in The Province's Pre-Preseason B.C. senior boys Triple A rankings.

"It's all building blocks," said South head coach Greg Matic, "especially with so much youth. We have a long, long way to go to be No. 1."

Our annual crystal-ball gazing, some 12 months ahead of the Telus 2011 tournament has produced the following:

1. (7th) Burnaby South Rebels -- A ton of top returning talent including Ater Degal, Jok Malek, Nick Irvine and Lazar Cuk, plus they dealt with the pressure of a No. 2 ranking this season.

2. (1st) R.C. Palmer Griffins (Richmond) -- Core of the team returns intact after a season spent finishing second at Double A B.C.'s, led by Billy Cheng, Vijay Dhillon, Ranjodh Hare and Mike Zayas.

3. (2nd) Vancouver College Fighting Irish -- Juniors won B.C. title and will compliment a returning senior core that played in back-to-back B.C. Triple A Final Fours.

4. (Qualified for BCs but did not place) Kitsilano Blue Demons (Vancouver) -- Paulius Makulavicius and Edvin Malushaga among top returning players who will be joined by a junior team that finished second in B.C.

5. (3rd) Terry Fox Ravens (Port Coquitlam) -- Grade 11 core got great B.C. tourney experience. Ryan Sclater, Bret Macdonald, Matt Trimble and Scott Hind among a talented group of seasoned returnees.

6. (Did not qualify for BCs) South Kamloops Titans -- David Wagner primed to become B.C.'s most dominant big man, and he's joined by fellow big man Spencer Jaroszuk.

7. (6th) Sir Charles Tupper Tigers (Vancouver) -- They lose PG James Lum, but bring back shot blocker Cam Smythe, as well as key player Warren Liang and Patrick Liu.

8. (4th) W.J. Mouat Hawks (Abbotsford) -- Junior standout Cam Friesen joins a solid returning group that was a win away from a B.C. tourney berth. Juniors finished fifth in B.C.

9. (Did not qualify for BCs) Yale Lions (Abbotsford) -- Returning seniors Nakai Luyken and Jordan Blackman have B.C. championship finals experience under their belts.

10. (Did not qualify for BCs) Claremont Spartans (Victoria) -- Return key players in the front and back courts and welcome solid nucleus of junior players.

11. (Qualified for BCs but did not place) Gleneagle Talons (Coquitlam) -- Guards Zach Usherwood and Terrelle Scott, and forward Alex Klocek all return to give the Coquitlam school one of its best teams ever.

12. (5th) Pitt Meadows Marauders -- A junior team that finished seventh in B.C. joins speedy guard Malcom Williams to keep Pitt among the Fraser Valley's best.

13. (Qualified for BCs but did not place) Tamanawis Wildcats (Surrey) -- Gagan Sahota returns for his senior year as Wildcats expected to be Surrey's top team and a B.C. tourney qualifier.

14. (Did not qualify for BCs) Byrne Creek Bulldogs (Burnaby) -- Kennedy George and David Majstorovic are both back and neither will be seniors for the Burnaby powerhouse.

15. (Qualified for BCs but did not place) Dover Bay Dolphins (Nanaimo) -- Forward Jason McKee and guard Eric Kuzminski the top returning players on the Nanaimo team that is always among B.C.'s most disciplined defensive units.

Honorable mention --
North Delta Huskies (Did not qualify for BCs)
St. George's Saints (Vancouver) (Did not qualify for BCs - but pretty damn close)
Carson Graham Eagles (N. Vancouver) (Did not qualify for BCs)
Mt. Douglas Rams (Victoria) (Did not qualify for BCs)
New Westminster Hyacks (Did not qualify for BCs)
Walnut Grove Gators (Langley) (8th)
Sutherland Sabres (N. Vancouver) (Competed in AA - finished 14th in BC)

Most Notable Team Missing - Kelowna - ranked high for most of the year, lost in quarters to finalist Vancouver College
HM Team Missing - Heritage Woods - lost in quarters to champion RC Palmer

Overall, had the top 3 in his top 5 and the final four in his top 8.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball



Posts : 428
Join date : 2010-02-22
Location : The Okanagan

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 pm

Kelowna wasn't in Howie's predictions because Goodwin hadn't transferred there until after these rankings came out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Today at 7:27 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» How to get crystal ball collection.
» Cathedral of Vanity Crystal related question
» Happy New Year everyone.
» Limited time offer tickets for New Year eve party for NYC group discount available
» The Hottest 41 Year Old Right Now

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: British Columbia :: BC Seniors-
Jump to: