HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

South ALL-STARS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
treyfactor

PostSubject: South ALL-STARS   Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Here is the list of the nods for the South ALL-STARS

2nd Team
Max Drollinger -LCI
Zach Pardiac -CCH
Rylan Olsen -CHS
Colten Murray -LCI
Anguish Morash -MHHS

1st Team
Dallin Low -CHS
Mitch Cook -Magrath
Taylor Jetten -CCHS
Tyson McIntyre -RHS
Clay Gibb -LCI

MVP Jimmy Ralph -RHS

I would love to see other peoples input..............

Here is my All Star List and my reasons why......Let me proceed this by saying that once again just like football some true allstar are forgotten about so that everyone can be represented (except Kainai and Myers for some odd reason). It's funny how RHS has 1 rep and the MVP but crushed all these other teams by 40 a night yet one other team has 3 all stars. Coaches must have thought that RHS was just an ok team without their two players yet I would take any of the starters on Raymond over half these guys; but lets make everyone feel warm and fuzzy. That Aside please feel free to bash my picks all you want.....but if you do let's see yours.

2nd Team
Dallin Low CHS *Didnt Play til after Christmas but was a force on the boards
Owen Sieben RHS *Improvement and was a power house for RHS
Colten Murray LCI *Fail to see the upside of a player this size on perimeter
Zach Pardiac CCH *could score lights out when on fire
Brad Baker RHS * Would be the leading scorer on any of the other teams in the south; proved at provincials that he will dominate next year

1st Team
Tyson Mcintyre RHS *Size was a dominant force
Clay Gibb LCI *Kid had sore shoulders from carrying this team many nights
Skylar Thompson CHS *was the workhorse for Cardston
Taylor Jetten CCH * was definately one of their leaders
Mitch Cook Magrath *Team leader and scoring leader for team

MVP
Jimmy Ralph RHS *Some critiscm for shooting too much from others; but those shots result from the high speed high scoring offense they were running. This kid has so much upside and positivity around him that he deserves all the credit he gets; and the haters are just that!

There are so many deserving players this year; almost need a defensive team as well. There you have it have it.....my opinion is just that. The provincial champs got hosed by the league on recognition so I gave it. So if any if you "TREYFACTOR ALLSTARS" want your awards just tell them at DQ in Cardston that you deserved the award..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

It looks like many of the coaches in the south just printed off a list of the top scorers in the league and that is how they voted. I agree with your list 100%. Skylar for Cardston is the heart and soul of that team and for him to be left off everything is crazy, and for the Raymond boys, they beat everyone in the league so bad that most of their games had their starters on the bench for most of the game.

Another thing you forgot to mention is the coach of the year went to LCI. That proves the politics involved when Raymond's closest league game is 20 points, they only get 2 all-stars, and their coach doesn't even get recognized by his own league. I would love to see everyone's votes made public.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HardwoodHoops

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:54 pm

If you can't beat Raymond on the court, you can always beat them in the awards. That is the motto for the local coaches this season.

Go ahead with your equality policy by recognizing at least one player from each team. I'm OK with that. I do blame this mess on the gutless spineless coaches who send in their secret ballots and look it as their only chance in the entire season to beat Raymond. Could any of those coaches sit around a room together and say with a serious face that out of the top 11 players in the league 3 are from LCI and only 2 are from Raymond? Raymond dominated everyone in the league. They outscore their opponents by an average of 101-52. They run the table in zones and win the Provincial 4A title. Sounds like that was a major upset though. With LCI being LOADED with the most talent in the league and having the coach of the year you would think that a zone title and provincial banner would be hanging in their gym? What a joke. CCH finishes 4th and has 2? Really?

You put Sieben or Baker from Raymond on LCI, Cardston, or CCH and those guys are their leading scorers or second leading scorer at worst. Don't penalize these kids for being on a team that is loaded with talent. You throw 5 of them in the all star game, the most of any team, but won't give them the same recognition in the form of the actual award.

It is time for a change. Whoever is in charge of the way that this is done needs to change it immediately. If Dave Wells is jumping on here to read, like we all know he does, then take notice and let's keep these coaches honest. All the coaches meet together and it is by a raise of hands. That is the first step on how to fix this. The philosophy of "let's vote for everyone except for the Raymond guys" worked out perfectly once again. I know Jimmy got MVP and Tyson was on the first team, but those are absolute 100% givens. Jimmy wins MVP no matter who is voting. But you are a joke if you think that outside of that, out of the next best 10 players in the league, that 3 are from LCI, 2 are from Cardston, 2 are from CCH, and only 1 is from Raymond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pro33

PostSubject: Raymond- 5 in the Top 11!   Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:23 pm

This is 2011. To have no stats taken other than points in a 4A highschool league is unreal.

Going back to when I played with the Alberta Team, I remember going into Mercer Island HS in Seattle and seeing every career stats leaders from points, rebounds to assists, shooting percentage etc. from the 60's thru to the 90's.

I am pretty sure the All-Star voting would have changed from top to bottom if proper stats we taken. It just impossible to know if a player is really good or not as efficiency and production is in the stats, and as you mention, that is a 'Top 10' scoring list rather than an All-Star team.

The Raymond boys got shafted, but Gibb was a dead cert for 1st Team as he is a class act, and has a bright future.

Skylar was in my opinionm Cardston best player and did more than score, and his physical play would translate to the college level as a small forward, were as in the South he gets in foul trouble, as the refs call it too soft in my opinion.

MacIntyre has received interest from Montana State, Weber State, Washington State, California, New Mexico State, U of Hawaii, Western Wyoming, U of A, UVIC, U of L, to name a few, and was a lock at All-Star, and Jimmy is probably the top few PG's in the Nation. His Provincial performance showed his true leadership, as he knew he was a bit off in the Final, so focused on D, and making plays for others. At one point it looked as though he asked and let Baker to take the game over from the top, Baker did, and the rest is history. Ralph was a decoy, and opened up the entire game for everyone else as he was doubled and tripled whenever he got the ball. He made the play of the game down the stretch with his drive and dish to Tyson for what I thought was the most important possesion of the game. But his leadership and poise was pure and impeccable, and that alone made Raymond unbeatable.

Sieben is the most underated player in the Province, and Baker will certainly be the top player in the province in '11/'12. Seriously, Workman was a possibility as All-Star, as I thought 5 players from Raymond in the Leagues Top 11 was in order.

But I can speak from experience as I led the Alberta Team in scoring and rebounding after Grade 10 and 11. There were no club teams back then, and all the top players played. Coaches don't vote for us Comets as like you said they have to beat us somewhere. I was 2nd team in 11 and 12, as the top player in the Province? But I played with a chip on my shoulder, and these are pretty good kids, so it really is a odd way to recognize your leagues best. Ryan Baldry was hands down the top player in 1994, and was edged out for MVP by Cassio Maffia, as Cassio scored the most, yet Ryan was the top player on the best team. So it's all been seen many times before, but that is my experience and some things never change!

Coach Heggie, I am sure, will be Coach of the Year in the Province so Shackleford can have it, and Todd was probably happy for him!

Congrats on what matters most Comets, you make all us old guys proud to be Comets!!!

Is that 9 4A Titles? 10 unofficially?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Happens every year in the boys and the girls. Last year some girls who are now playing post secondary did not make either team and some who made 1 st team or 2 nd team could not even crack the starting line up on Raymond or Cardston.
It will not change cause when the good teams play ( the many of sub par teams) in the league they mostly play their bench, so those teams never see the good players. I guess the good teams should play their starters till half when the score is 60 to 8 and then the bench the 2 nd half so the other teams see how good the starters really are!!!!! Just what has been said, the good teams 4 th and 5th men would be the high scorers on the other teams.
Why does each team have to have an allstar?
So nobody gets left out!?? Well what about those kids on the good teams who deserve to be there but are left out cause every team has to have one?????
Same crap another year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pro33

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Also, enough can't be said about the players on Raymond's team that on other teams would have got a chance to do more, Smith, Karren, Leavitt and Prince, but that is why it is a team game. These kids provided a very neccesary aspect of a Championship team. Although they did not get a chance to develope their games as much as they may have on other teams, they contributed by creating postive energy on the bench, and when they did get in the game, 9 times out of 10 Raymond's bench players kept increasing the score against many teams starters...that just shows how deep and special this team truly was. So congrats to you guys that did not score alot, but brought the hustle and effort to practice and the games when called upon.

And then the solid role guys like J.O. for his unreal pressure D and big buckets, Connor for his physical presence, and Bridge has shown he will be a top guard in the League next season. What else can you say, just a really complete team!

Really excited for next season, and I am going to go out on a limb and say if these guys work hard and improve on some things over the summer, they can successfully defend their Chip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 am

Pro 33 I would say that you are going waaaaaaay out on a limb. Raymond next year will only have 2 good players. Workman and Baker. You ever watched Bridge play defense. He has no 'd'. just a little 'o'. Also as for kids coming up. NOBODY unless they recruit from somewhere. There JV boys team was dead last 3 wins, 13 defeats (other than chinook who is starting a whole new program). Even Kainai beat Raymond jvs in there own gym. So to go out on a limb , is exactly that. Raymond will be the number two team or three in the south next year, behind Cardston and /or CCHS. Cardston will be the number one team. They have five returnees from there senior program and have a excellent bunch of JVs coming up. There JV program did not loose a game all year(including tournaments). Cardston will be #1 and CCHS/RHS will fight it out for 2nd and 3rd. Rumor has it trey that your boy is not going to play next year cause coach Heggie may not be back. Maybe you can enlighten us on what coach Heggie is doing next year. As for the allstars selections this year, I do have to agree with you trey, kids that should have been on there were not.
Back to top Go down
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Slimjim;
Let me proceed this by saying you are talking a lot of smack about a JV program that feeds off of 1) Cardston JR High 2) Mountain View 3) Glenwood 4) Hillspring plus the surrounding areas of the blood reserve; to the Us border and to Delbonita; so firstly that JV program is strong for a reason and it is well coached. The slam at Raymond "recruiting" is totally ridiculous and uncalled for as well as bad mouthing Bridge's Defense. For you to say Raymond is a two horse show is off base. People have said that for years that we only have a couple players; and well quite frankly we have 5 provincial banners out of a possible 6 on our walls in the last 3 years in 2 sports. So a SAHS JV title doesn't quite equate to anything yet.

As for Todd leaving; ask Todd.... I'm not going to speculate on that, but I guarantee you one thing; if hes coaching any program you better watch closely. The whole thing about my kid playing or not playing for whoever is coaching is something you are fishing for and 80% the time, rumours are false.

CCH always has a good JV program cause they float a ton of players; but does it help in the long run? We saw that they couldn't finish it out this year with talent and coaching. They speculated all year on being 2nd out of the south and looked where they ended up.

Telling us all you are going to be be "first" out of the south is great; but actions speak much louder than words. I also heard how one of CHS JV players was going to be on the A team and shut Jimmy down........ he didn't make the A team.
So talk all the smack you want right now; It'll be fun to see in the fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pro33

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Yes, it's all speculation, but I would not count out a team led by Brad Baker, and I am sure he will make the players accountable this summer as far as workouts and improving their respective games goes. Also Quin Workman if he hit the weight hard and works on his game, will be one of the best posts in the Province, and he showed that by shredding Westerns trio of solid players 6'6" or taller. If Brad and Quinn get TO WORK on their games this summer the will be nearly impossible to stop next year, as Quinns post up moves are going to be tough for your JV players to stop. And Baker has alot of experience, he will be the League MVP if he works on getting that J consistent, and improves on going both left and right ot the rack, maybe adding a spin move, spinning back to the middle on baseline drive, a tough crossover move, and a pull up jumper that he can stop on a dime fron 7 to 15 feet and knock down, to mix up his drive to the cup.

Without Bridges little O, they may have not won Luther as I believe he drilled 9 for 18 threes in the Tournament, and he too if he works on his strenght, and over all game, will be alot better than people think, as he has yet to have a chance to shine.

Yes they may have some bumps in the road, but kids at this age still have the opportunity to out work other players in the summer by putting in long hours with individual drills etc, so you can never count a team like Raymond out, because more than likely these kids and others will be getting better this summer.

It will be interesting next year, and I doubt we will see Raymond beating teams (with 3 'All-Stars' I might add) by 50 points!!! This alone will make the League competitive again, rather than a forgone conclusion as it has been the past three seasons!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Pro33, why you are so high on quins game is beyond me, to say he shredded western is rediculus, that's clear, he can't play with his back to the basket, he can't play on the perimeter , he can't shoot or dribble, the only upside to his game is his decent athleticism
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South ALL-STARS   Today at 1:10 pm

Back to top Go down

South ALL-STARS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1